Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Running To Standstill

It's been a while. Funny how things catch up with you, roll over you, put you through the spin cycle... Life has been a whirlwind for the past few weeks. First I broke my collarbone and separated my shoulder. Well, if you're going to do this you might as well go the whole hog. Then I started interviewing for jobs, with arm in sling, and doing two or more interviews a day for a while. Then I landed a new job (a great job too), and was whisked off to Utah for a week of intensive training. Then I came back and started the new job and have been working a lot of hours for the past couple of weeks. All of that is by way of apology for not posting more often over the last six weeks. But there's more...

I'm blocked.

I had heard of writer's block, of course, but had never experienced it before. It's not a day at the beach. I'm halfway through my current work in progress (Revival) and the characters are dying on the page, all blank stares and asphyxiation, and there's nothing I can do. This group of characters that I have come to know and to love have nothing to say, I'm losing touch with them and the creative edge of the story, and I'm not sure where to go from here. But I have to save my book. I have to figure this out.

Thoughts, advice, suggestions are welcome on this blog or on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment